Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 8: Astrology as Allegory

Summary of meditation: Fred White maintains that the reason so many people in the 21st century (despite or perhaps because of science) give credence to astrology is because we want to believe "the universe is controlled by forces beyond rational understanding."
"Astrology is a kind of mythology for a world in which the supernatural has been driven out like the plague; yet despite (or perhaps because of) our technological culture, the hunger for spiritual experience remains as acute as ever."

Try This:
1) Begin working on a story that takes place in a universe where astrological forces are beyond dispute, where the movements of the stars and planets actually do govern people's lives. What would it be like to live in such a universe? 


2) Read the astrological forecasts that appear in the daily newspaper (or in the daily tabloids). Select an especially intriguing forecast for a particular sign and build an allegorical short story around it. 


My thoughts: I don't know if I'm smart or deep enough to do this exercise. I'm just going to go with the spirit of the thing and see what inspires me. One of the things I've noticed about writing this blog is that I'm really face-to-face with my fear of sucking. If I were doing these exercises at home and not sharing them (first of all, I wouldn't do them because no one would be holding me accountable but me and I'm a terrible account-holder) I would feel free to write shit. Doing it here where I know some of you are checking in makes me feel a bit more restrained. For example I hesitated to write the word "shit" back there. I am resolved to get past this and I encourage you to be equally resolved. Even our icons wrote/write shit. And you have to be willing to suck in order to improve.  And when something sucks, it never sucks 100 percent. There are bits of brilliance in there somewhere.
OK! Onward... (will post my results later)...

Later

Hahaha! O.K., this is pretty bad, but not 100% bad.  I was inspired by this video of  Danny Hoch (thanks, Ann Randolph!), an actor and solo performer who, when creating a piece, starts with the characters rather than the story or plot. My friend Sally told me today that she wrote a biography for many of her characters before starting her amazing (not yet published) book, and had them tell her the story.
I had fun trying this with mine for this exercise. The dialogue came easily, and I attempted to build a story around it. I'll try again another time. Next!
PS I'm pretty sure that using Babelfish to translate an English word (Gemini) into a French word salvages the piece by classing it up.



Gémeaux

Mila leans in close to the mirror, examines her face and drops the razor on the counter as if it's red-hot.
“OMG! How hard can it be to cut two diagonal lines?”
“Let me see.” Luda pushes her hair away from her face, inspects the damage and laughs. “Yeah, maybe in the future we leave this to gangstas and real emo girls.”
“It’s not funny. Basically, I’m screwed,” Mila says, maintaining eye contact with her image in the mirror, refusing to look away. “
“Come one, there are about a million things that can be done about it.”
“Lame-assed things”
“No, perfectly non-lame assed things.”
“Such as?”
“Such as simply declaring it a new trend and owning it.”
“Owning it? WTF?”
“Yes, owning it like ‘This is a new style that I alone have created because I’m edgy and alternative and you can join me in my protest against the dictatorial fashion machine or you can step back in awe.’ That kind of ownership.”
Mila rolls her eyes, pulls the skin around her mouth taut. “Next.”
“Oh, come on! That was brill!”
“Next!” she repeats, turning on the water and reaching for a washcloth.
“Well, there’s tattooing…”
“Right, only about a thousand bucks and hurts like hell. Next!”
 “What about a sharpie? Pencil’s gonna…”
There’s a loud knock on the door.
                “Mila! Who’s in there with you?” Her mother jiggles the handle. “Open up.”
 “No one’s here, Mother.” She looks around frantically, “Quick,” she whispers “The towel.”
“You’re on the phone then, aren’t you? Open up, damnit!” She jiggles the handle more insistently. Mila wraps the towel in a low spiral around her head and opens the door.
“I suppose you’re trying to tell me I’m hearing things.” Her mother peers behind the shower curtain, turns to Mila and stretches out her hand. “Give me the phone.”  
“I don’t have the phone, Mother.”
“I distinctly heard voices and obviously you’re alone. Give me the phone.”
“I told you, I don’t have the freakin’ phone.  Canyougonowthanksbye.” Mila reaches to hold the door open and the towel slips off of her head.
“Do not be smart with me, young…Oh Mila! Your eyebrow! What have you done?”
“Relax, mom. It’s the new style. “ Mila leans casually against the wall.
“One eyebrow shaved off is the style? Who’s style? “
My style. I’m not done though.” She picks the razor up off the counter and before her mother can stop her, shaves off the remaining eyebrow.  “Well done!” She says to her reflection.
(Sound Twilight Zone music)



No comments:

Post a Comment