Monday, September 5, 2011

Day Twelve: Free Writing


 Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.  ~William Wordsworth

Today's exercise comes from me because I've got a limited amount of time :0)

The following explanation on the purpose of free writing I found via Google on a blog written by James Bow I know nothing about James or his blog, except that he posted this explanation in 2002 and he's still blogging away which is admirable. And he nails it:

"The purpose of free writing is to get around the chatter inside your brain to the chatter beneath; to circumvent the part of you that tears down and critiques what you have written as you have written it. By touching your deeper self, you can put some very bizarre collection of words down on the paper, pulling up a vividly described detail or describing an event that you wouldn't normally have described had you let your conscious mind do all the talking." James Bow

 How To: Write for a minimum of 10 minutes without stopping AT ALL. Don't edit, correct spelling, read what you've written thus far, etc.

Use one of the following prompts:

My life is made up of seconds....

At this very moment...

I remember...

There was no way she could have known...

Ready? Set? Go!

Take it a step further: After completing this exercise comb your piece for phrases or ideas that resonate with you.  
 
Later


Notes: I've decided to keep my results from this exercise private.



No comments:

Post a Comment