Friday, September 30, 2011

Days 18 through 29: Vacation Compilation

“Boy, those French. They have a different word for everything.” -- Steve Martin
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”  Martin Buber
"Europeans, like some Americans, drive on the right side of the road, except in England where they drive on both sides of the road; Italy, where they drive on the sidewalk; and France where if necessary, they follow you right into the hotel lobby." Dave Barry

 So happy to be back and blogging again. I wrote daily--some exercises, but mostly freewriting and 'spying' where I eavesdropped and wrote down conversations like this fragment between a young American girl and a young Italian boy who were cuddled up in the Piazza della Signoria in Florence, Italy):

‎          "...and my mother's name is Francis, and my sister is Jessica and my Aunt is Maria. I know, it's a lot to remember! And I can't even pronounce your name. What is it again? Polio?"

          "Paulo. My name is Paulo." 

:0)

I downloaded a couple of writing exercise prompt books onto my kindle before leaving and pulled this exercise from one (can't figure out which one, but will site it when I do): 

"Write an ending paragraph that begins with the sentence 'I love the cold.' "

 Exercise #22
by Laurie Guerin

             I love the cold. I love the way your nose turns red and the inside of your mouth wakes up as you breathe refrigerated air into your lungs. I love walking into a brisk wind, your hair blowing away from your face exposing it for what it is, no embellishment, no softening of bangs. I love how you feel close to the person you’re walking with, knowing that beneath his coat is a heart pumping warm blood, a body capable of heat. I love the silence of deep cold, no birds, no crickets, just the crunch of feet hitting the ground. I love knowing that underground, approximately twelve feet under, your body lies frozen and still; your lips colorless; your hand stiff and folded around the knife that was meant to kill me. 

and this exercise, from the same book, which was to start a story with "The light's green"
Exercise # 25
by laurie Guerin

            “The light’s green,” she says.
            He grips the steering wheel with both hands.
            “I know.”
            “What?”
            “I’ve got two eyes. I can see that the light’s green.”
            “Well? Then go, for christsakes!”
            A horn honks. “Randy! Green means go!”
            He puts his foot on the gas, easing forward slowly. “I was planning to go. I saw the light change and I was planning to go. I don’t need you telling me what color the damn light is.”
            “What? You prefer to hear about it from the people behind you? The people you’re holding up? It’s inconsiderate driving, is what it is, Randy. To make people wait just to prove a point.”
            She presses a button on her side. There’s a loud clack as all of the doors unlock simultaneously. The light ahead turns red.
            “Let’s see if you can  handle this one by yourself,” she says. He brakes to a stop. She presses the same button. There’s a loud clack as all of the doors lock simultaneously.
            “Jesus Mom, will you give it a rest?” Jenna, seated directly behind her mother presses her forehead against the cool glass. 
            “I am keeping this family alive for one more day, is what I’m doing. It’s a well known fact that carjackers  make their move at red lights. Just yesterday it was on the radio that two…”
            “Fine, then keep the doors locked; but how ‘bout you commit to one or the other?”
            “Watch your tone, Jenna. Do you think if it were that easy I’d be tiring myself at all of these lights? Considering the way your father drives it’s only a matter of time before we‘re in a catastrophic accident and studies have shown your chances of survival are greater with the doors unlocked.” 


There's more, but this is the extent of what I'll post in this blog. Back on track tomorrow!
xo

    
           
           
           
           

 








1 comment:

  1. I can tell you have great new material. "I love the cold..."wonderful images. Miss you in class. Hope you are having the time of your life!
    returning??? Hope to see you at the workshop next weekend! Emalou

    ReplyDelete