Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Solo Journey 4 days to go!

     I see the light!
     Yesterday was our first run through at the theater (Center Stage in Santa Cruz, Ca). I'm so proud to be part of this group of performers. They make me want to do my best. Such talent.
It always amazes me--the transformation from page to stage. When everyone leaves their script and goes officially off-book.
     I am also surprised by how much rehearsal time the little details can suck up. In one scene, I'm doing my make-up in front of a mirror. I have zero props--all of it's pantomime. I spent two hours figuring out how to make it look like I had a purse; which I then put on a counter;which I then retrieve a make-up bag from; which I then pull a mascara tube from; which I then twist open and remove an applicator from. And that's just freaking mascara. As I'm doing this I'm also having a conversation...AND BECOMING another character who is also primping. Two hours on the purse. BUT--it paid off. It was much easier after that and I'm confident it'll come together by Saturday.
     I've also learned that rehearsing using a script is the best way to learn my lines. I've always memorized first. In part because it still terrifies and creeps me out to rehearse all alone. But my brain latches on faster when my body is involved in the process.
     xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment